Sunday, February 2, 2014

6:11 AM
Good day folks!

Recently I installed ubuntu 12.04-3 LTS from http://ubuntu.com, Ive set up separate partition to dual boot with my Windows OS. While installing you will come across with setting up the default keyboard layout. In my case I used United Kingdom(UK) without knowing that it has different layout for special chars with my standard keyboard.

After setting up the default keyboard you will then prompt to enter your username and password. In my case I used a strong password combining with yourdesiredpass[Shift+3]. Take note that shift+3 is '#' character and since Im using UK layout it provides different character. And later after some updates, I found out that I can't use Shift+3 for the '#' while playing with the shell and it displays a nonreadable chars, so I automatically fixed it by changing the default keyboard layout from UK keyboard into Filipino layout, and then rebooted my machine.

Then p00f! that's when my problem arise. I couldnt login since im using now the Filipino layout and I forgot to check and change the passwd of my account. I did some research but couldnt find how to change keyboard layout while on the login screen. Other releases of ubuntu had that one before but not in 12.04.

I analyze the problem and I see that there is a default Guest account, so I logged in using the guest and hoping that I could fix that by setting the guest keyboard layout back to UK and issuing sudo  passwd [myusername] but I failed because by default, Guest is not set as member of sudoers.

One solution that came with me..

While on the guest you can also run a console tty using alt+2 (or any tty # for your session). I entered my account and the previous password and h00h! great! Ive logged into it. I can now change my pass without combining first any special chars. Once your finished reboot it you can now log in and change your passwd with special chars using the right keyboard layout for your preference.

That's all folks, hope this helps :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment